Functional Medicine is based on the truth that our body systems function as an interrelated whole. I enjoy spending an entire hour with my patients so that we can do the necessary detective work to examine each body system and find the underlying causes for your symptoms. I search diligently for everything that is causing inflammation in your body. I test and treat for underlying infections, cardiovascular and gastrointestinal issues, chemical, heavy metal or mold toxicities. I determine whether you have any nutritional deficiencies that can prevent your body from healing or working correctly. I focus on supporting your immune system, plus optimizing your brain neurotransmitters, blood sugars, adrenal, thyroid, and sex hormones. I test for genetic variations, as these can affect how well your body will detox meds, supplements, and toxins. Genetic Profiles give us one more valuable tool for choosing the best treatment plans for you, as a unique individual. Functional Medicine means we no longer treat symptoms, we treat you.
I became a Functional Medicine doctor because I personally experienced having cancer twice then an immune system breakdown with severe chemical sensitivities that lasted 7 years. During those years, multiple conventional and integrative doctors either gave me treatments that made me worse or kept telling me that all I needed was Prozac. When I finally found a Functional Medicine doctor who helped me get my life back, I was inspired to learn all I could about this field. My heart goes out to the complex mystery patients who experience the seemingly hopeless search to get well, struggling with so many symptoms that doctors either don’t believe you or haven’t been able to help you. I’ve been there. Now I love being able to give you answers, validate you, and empower you to find healing. My patients can expect a tenacious detective who listens, genuinely cares, and doesn’t give up.
• 7/2016 Board Certification, Integrative Medicine
* MD degree, 1994, Loma Linda University, CA
• Institute for Functional Medicine Certification Courses completed
• A4M Anti-Aging, Metabolic and Functional Medicine Fellowship Courses completed
• 8/2017 – 9/2019 Assistant Professor, Preventive Medicine, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA
• 8/2017 -12/2019 Associate Professor, University of California Irvine Susan Samueli Integrative Health Institute
• 5/2016 – Present National Speaker, Apex Energetics Functional Medicine seminars for health care providers Gut Health